Monday, July 07, 2008

ARTISTS’ TRAIL ROUTE 30 (LANCASTER/YORK)

What I love most about my Explore PA travels is the fact that I am often introduced to long-held traditions that are brand new to me…which can be both scary and exhilarating!

During our trip along the Artists’ Trail Route 30 we made a stop at Lancaster Central Market – a traditional farmer’s market that was bustling with activity! Of course, when in Rome, you do as the Romans do…so it was only fair that I try some of the local culinary traditions, which to my chagrin included Souse. For those of you who don’t know what Souse is – it’s pickled pig’s feet! But luckily it’s not nearly as bad as it sounds – Souse is actually the consistency of sauerkraut and wasn’t too bad at all. At the market, I was also encouraged to try a homemade horseradish that had quite a kick! In fact, a dollop of the horseradish was placed on a piece of chocolate, which somehow has the ability to heighten the taste of the horseradish. And boy did it ever!!! My nose was on fire! But once again, it was a great (and funny) experience I won’t soon forget.

While in the area, I was also honored to meet and work with a superbly talented artist and master printmaker, Robert Patierno. Robert was so kind to open his studio to Explore PA and even created a special print for Explore PA that I was able to help with. In addition to working with Robert, I was also able to receive two of his prints that are framed and hang beautifully in my home – a piece of Explore PA that reminds me of what a fun day I had with such a talented artist.

Finally, I want to share that the Lancaster Arts Hotel is stunning! The boutique hotel feels like it was plucked right out of New York City or London and placed in Lancaster. The hotel is filled with amazing works of art from local artists – it’s like a museum within a hotel and I highly recommend a night’s stay if you are in the area.

All in all, another wonderfully artistic trip that has opened my eyes to the joys of exploring PA!

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 11:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! I was "surfing" for something interesting to watch and came across this show. It was great! Beautifully done. Covered a range of different sites and kept a good pace, which helped keep it interesting. Host Jennings literally sparkles with personality. Altogether Well Done! Pennsylvania Tourest Bureau should send some of the show videos to travelers in neighboring states - I'm sure it would draw many visitors to Pennsylvania. from greatberr, Hughesville PA

 

Post a Comment

<< Home