Thursday, September 06, 2007

Explore PA gets buggy and more in Philly!

As you may know, I have lived just outside Philly for around 13 years now. And as is the purpose of Explore PA, we like to bring people to new places they may not have seen in the state…and I am almost embarrassed to say, that despite my proximity, much of my Philadelphia experience was brand new to me!

Yes, it’s true. Until the day of our shoot, I had never made it to the Liberty Bell! But I am happy to report that I have remedied the situation with a visit to the Liberty Bell Visitor’s Center where I was able to talk with the friendly and knowledgeable guides about the history of the most famous bell in the land. Although as you may have learned last season on Explore PA, there is a full size replica of the Liberty Bell at the Valley Forge Memorial Chapel known as the Justice Bell. And I see that bell nearly every day as I drive through Valley Forge Park!

Another place I had the pleasure of visiting was the Philadelphia Insectarium…yup, a bug museum! I have to admit I was a wee bit wary of entering a place where the bugs have free reign, but after seeing that each insect was nicely housed in a protective home, I was a bit more relaxed…and strangely interested! In fact, I even mustered the courage to hold a Scorpion!

But perhaps the biggest highlight of this episode was my trip to the Reading Terminal Market to meet the Queen of Macaroni and Cheese – Ms. Delilah Winder. What an absolute delight and honor it was to meet Delilah. She became an instant celebrity when Oprah Winfrey declared hers to be the country’s best Mac & Cheese. And oh was Oprah right! The mac & cheese, not to mention the rest of her Soul Food menu will have you contemplating…” Should I get some more of this to bring home? I know I’ll be craving it later.” And indeed, you’ll be right!
Another very special part of this Explore PA adventure was the fact that my 12 year-old niece, Ryan was able to tag along for the day. It was such a pleasure to have Ryan along and it will always make this show extra special for me!

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The insectarium is a great family friendly attraction...a must see!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home